Monday 24 October 2011

Ernest Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises

Title: The Sun Also Rises
Author: Ernest Hemingway
Pub. year: 1926
Pages: 251
Editor: Scribner Book

Summary: The quintessential novel of the Lost Generation, The Sun Also Rises is one of Ernest Hemingway's masterpieces and a classic example of his spare but powerful writing style. A poignant look at the disillusionment and angst of the post-World War I generation, the novel introduces two of Hemingway's most unforgettable characters : Jake Barnes and Lady Brett Ashley. The story follows the flamboyant Brett and the hapless Jake as they journey from the wild nightlife of 1920s Paris to the brutal bullfighting rings of Spain with a motley group of expatriates. It is an age of moral bankruptcy, spiritual dissolution, unrealized love, and vanishing illusions. First published in 1926, The Sun Also Rises helped to establish Hemingway as one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century.

I wanted to discover a bit more about Hemingway's life in Paris, because of a bookshop he used to go, and I thought this book would be a good start. Unfortunatly, it's more about Spain than Paris, and A Moveable Feast would probably have been more appropriate for my initial purpose.

However, it was nice to read something else from this author, even if I didn't really enjoy it. I was mostly bored and unattracted by the personality of the characters, the way they lived and talked. Even if I'm glad I learned a bit about the life during those years—and a bit more about Hemingway's style—I have to admit it's not my kind of reading.

I didn't really like the way the characters acted so scornful towards one another, such as: you're English, or you're Jewish, so you're that way. Heck, they're supposed to be friends! I know it was before WW2 and everything, but I always feel uncomfortable with that kind of statements. Plus there's a lot of repetition in words as well as in scenes, which doesn't help sweetening the pill.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'm not fond of the way he wrote and I was bored most of the time. That's a bit sad because I was hoping to like his books, but well, you don't choose what you like.

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment