Sunday 20 May 2012

Red Seas Under Red Skies read along
[fourth part]

In case you haven't followed the first part of this read along on The Lies of Locke Lamora, let me tell you, you missed something.
But it's not too late!
Here we are again, reading and answering questions about the second part of this awesome series, Red Seas Under Red Skies.
Care to join?
All the details are on the Little Red Reviewer blog, so take a book and join the fun!




'You have... you have such hoops as I have never seen in any cask on any ship, such shiny and well-fit hoops—'
Jean's best pick-up line ever.




Hey, it's our usual Saturday Sunday meeting, folks! I am sad to say, this is already the before-last part, and while I've never really managed to be on time at all during this read along, re-reading this awesome book is still very awesome, and I'm happy to have reached this far. The Big Bad Ass Full Of Surprises end is coming quite near, but not quite there either... that was some quality pirate time we got this week, ahoy! (isn't that totally cliché ?)


1. I was much relieved when Jean and Locke made up, which started with Locke's gesture of a cup full of honesty with Cpt. Drakasha. Do you think that was hard for Locke? Or was he using this bit of honesty like any other weapon in his arsenal to get what he wants in the end?
I think the guy can be occasionally sincere when needed and it really seems like his fight with Jean affected him, and he realized that the pirates where really their people and that he couldn't just betray them to save his ass. It's probably as hard as it is a relief to finally come clear (or clearer) to Drakasha, and actually try to organize something together instead of going being her back. Plus, I don't think he would have managed alone.


2. The Parlor Passage: We still don't know Locke's true name, but whatever was in that mist does. What do you think it is?
I love the ghostly-misty parts, it's the kind of atmosphere I'm really fond of and it was great to see all those tough guys being scared shitless of something they couldn't see. I don't know what is was exactly, maybe just some swamp mist, potent rotting hypnotic flowers and a bit of a collective wild imagination, or maybe some old goddess of the sea is lurking around, waiting for poor souls to drown in her clutches. Don't care, love it!


3. There was an interesting section of the book that started about where Locke assisted Drakasha in selling the Red Messenger; he put on the persona of Leocanto Kosta and used the alias Tavras Callas and then Drakasha was still thinking of him as Ravelle..... Did using all those various aliases in such a short amount of time have your mind spinning a little? Do you think Lynch did this on purpose to give the reader a sense of Locke's mind?
It was ok during the selling of the boat, because it didn't really matter what name was used, it was quite easy to know that Locke was being himself (finally getting some con action!) and there was no real confusion. The tough part for me is when they go back to the boat, and Jean calls Locke Ravelle, but Drakasha calls him Kosta (and I'm always doubting which one is Kosta or De Ferra), and Ezri calls Jean Jean except when there is people and it's Jerome, and I'm like, who the hell is talking with who?! But it's quite fun, at least you get your brains working a little.


4. That was a sweet little kiss between Cpt. Zamira and Cpt. Jaffrim at the end of the Captains' Council. Do you think they have some history, or is it just innocent flirting that's been going on for some time?
I kinda missed the kiss, or it just didn't stick... well, I don't know, but Drakasha is old enough to have had fun with many lads, so why not him?


5. Jean and Ezri. Cue dove-cooing and little winged hearts with sparkles. Do you think Jean will stay with the Poison Orchid or that Ezri will leave her ship to pal around with Jean and Locke?
Ezri would grab the little winged hearts and stuff them up your arse to see you fart sparkles, if she heard that !!
I don't think Jean would be comfy staying on a ship but Ezri wouldn't be comfy on ground. They would have to find a compromise, and hey, everyone knows Jean would have to bow in the end. But you know Lynch; I don't think the compromise will be their biggest problem at the moment, it'll be more the staying alive...


6. What is Utgar up to? What are his motivations?
For me, he's just one of those guys that want money and power (like the fake Locke with Requin) and he's just looking for less competition and a better position. Maybe they had some arguments with Drakasha too... but anyway, I hate his guts. First, I don't like treason, and especially not for something as petty as money, and second, I just want to hang him to rot in Port Prodigal before they sail again. You'll soon see why. (teasers, they are bad. Sorry!)


7. So last week we hashed over that Merrain killed some of Stragos's guards on Windward Rock. But when Jean and Locke visit him, he doesn't mention it. What is up with that?
Well, Stragos knows, so I'm thinking they're together on that, or maybe he just forgot about it (not likely), or maybe he has something in reserve for them later on... who knows what bullshit this sneaky woman could have told him?


8. This week's section left us where the book began - Jean pointing a crossbow at Locke's throat. Do you think Jean knows who sent these crossbowers? Is he on their side? Is it a clever ploy to get him and Locke out of this predicament? Did you find it excruciatingly hard to stop here?
I haven't mentioned it before but I didn't like the start. I never really enjoyed those teasers, especially if they are several pages long and exactly the same as later on in the story. Lynch, you don't need that to keep us interested, you know! And at the beginning, I totally though that Jean was ganging up on him. Now that we have the full story, I think he's on Locke side and it's just a scheme to trick their opponent. But why the hell is Locke so freaked out?


So few pages remaining, urg! It's not really excruciating to stop here, it just is to stop! And even more to know that the next book is not ready yet! Check the other reviews from the Little Red Reviewer and see you next week for the end *sob*.

7 commentaires:

That is really not a good place to end - which is why I cheated and carried on reading. Right to the end. Oh dear. And this is a reread for me - don't know how everyone else is standing it. I'm gagging for RoT to come out!

Why was Locke so freaked out by Jean's ploy - surely he trusts him??

I thought the parlour passage scene was great - really creepy!

It's definitely a brain workout keeping all these names straight - it's like bootcamp for brains!

Lynn:D

It was kind of strange that Locke had that disconnect with the pirates. He should have known they were his people. Maybe because he was forced into it by Stragos?

The whole Jean-flirting-with-the-barrel thing was hilarious. He normally seems so much more confident.

I like your idea of hallucinogenic drugs in the mist in the Parlor! :)

And I agree with you about the Prologue: it is a pet peeve of mine when TV shows do the same thing.

@Lynn: I'm playing nice because this is a re-read but hey, next book, no way I can wait 5 weeks to finish it! Three days top and I'm done :D

@Jeremy: I guess it's still the trust issue and all this, he feels like he's mostly alone these days so he has trouble to realize what's wrong and what's not. Plus it's a new world for him, he slowly figuring out the connections...

@Books: he's shy with ladies, that's so cute!!

@Sue: yeah, drugs, I mean that could totally fit with the weird stagnating climate or something. Or it's a monster of Elder times, trapped forever in this dark passage... brrr!

I'm a total bastard, I purposely put the stopping point there. ;)

sometimes I wish Jean wasn't such a softy. because yeah, he's better on land, and Ezri is better on water, and when push comes to shove, he'll give her anything she wants, cuz he's awesome like that. I love how Lynch writes Ezri, that she always gets what she wants, and she knows it. but she works her butt off and fights like a person twice her size, which rocks!

If Jean wasn't a softy, Locke would have been killed by his bare hands for his stupidity :D
Yeah, you're right though, he's awesome like that, and she's such a tough marvellous little lady. I miss them already...

Post a Comment