Saturday 5 May 2012

Red Seas Under Red Skies read along
[second part]

In case you haven't followed the first part of this read along on The Lies of Locke Lamora, let me tell you, you missed something.
But it's not too late!
Here we are again, reading and answering questions about the second part of this awesome series, Red Seas Under Red Skies.
Care to join?
All the details are on the Little Red Reviewer blog, so take a book and join the fun!




'You,' said Locke, 'are a goat-faced wad of slipskinner's shit.'




What is wrong with me? I used to so not care about the schedule and be on time, and now that I'm trying to make it, I'm late again (good for me that it's still Saturday in some parts of the world)! But well, let us not dwell on that. The second part of this reading hasn't quite been as wonderful as the first one, less discoveries and a lot a preparation for the rest of the story... but hey, it was great nonetheless. Shall we?


1. Now that we know a little more about Selendri and Requin, what do you think of them? I worry Locke is suddenly realizing this con might be a bit tougher than he expected.
Well, for one I think that this crazy savior gesture Requin apparently pulled on Selendri is really heroic, and even though the man is a (rich) ass, that accounts for something. I wonder if Selendri stays around because of her sense of duty or because she really loves him... women mysteries, no need to pry, I guess. But Locke probably knew what he was getting into, the Sinspire is no joke and his master no softie, so he probably expected the worse already. The con is going to be tough, and that's what makes it good!


2. Isn’t the Artificers’ Crescent just amazing? If you could purchase anything there, what would it be?
This is my second reading and a got a clearer picture of the place this time, this whole island business was a bit confusing for me and I'm always so fond of dialogues that I tend to slide over long descriptions. Sometimes I wish we would have a tv series (or a movie) to picture this as greatly as it deserves - anyone feels like it?
I don't know what I would buy... I more the roam-around kind of girl, so I'll probably spend an insane amount of time visiting before finally deciding on something.


3. What did you think of Salon Corbeau and the goings on that occur there? A bit crueler than a Camorri crime boss, no?
Ha, what a horrid place. Gives me shivers. Sadly, I understand the concept - people with too much money get to insane extends to entertain themselves, and what could be better than humiliate poor people together without being judged? That's really a sad, sad way of leaving, and those things the guy told Locke about how no one forced the poor people to come here? I wanted to punch his face. Twice.
Camorr is such a sweet vacation resort in comparison... (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit but like Locke, this gruesome business makes me very angry.)


4. The Archon might be a megalomaniacal military dictator, but he thinks he’s doing right by Tal Verrar: his ultimate goal seems to be to protect them. What do you think he’s so afraid of?
I think he's crazy. What was it already?
'Full-on barking madness is a state of rational bliss to which you may not aspire. Men living in gutters and drinking their own piss would shun your company. You are a prancing lunatic.'
Yes, just like that. I mean, really. The automates? The sixty guys on the roof pretending to make it rain in a clay forest? Launching an attack on the city and risking so many lives just to get more money and power? How does that protect the city?
The guy is nuts. I can't think of anything else.


5. And who the heck is trying to kill Locke and Jean every few days? they just almost got poisoned (again!)!
Ah yes, the underlining funky business. I think Lynch likes that, putting on a front story line, then slipping some "disagreements" and adding a few thorns in their socks while no one's looking. I'm still as bad as ever on speculation but Merrain does not inspire me any good. She's weird, in the nasty kind of way. Beware of lurking women!


6. Do you really think it’s possibly for a city rat like Locke to fake his way onto a Pirate ship?
Locke is gonna puke his guuuts-out, Locke is gonna puke his guuts-out ♫
Sorry, but I don't think it's going to be fun. I feel like the training will get them bitching again and again about how hard and crappy it is, and once they're actually sailing, they'll realize it's even worse. I'm not even mentioning their bad luck which will probably strike again, and again, and again. They are so gonna hate it.


Phew, not so bad after all, he! Check the other reviews from the Little Red Reviewer and let's meet again next week for some pirates adventures!

5 commentaires:

I like your quote about the Archon's madness. That's it exactly!

Seeing the Sinspire and Salon Corbeau really does make Camorr look tame. I hope that Locke comes back to Salon Corbeau and gives Lady Saljesca and company what they deserve.

LOL, love your Locke puking song! he's gonna need some dramamine, that's for sure!

"I think Lynch likes that, putting on a front story line, then slipping some "disagreements" and adding a few thorns in their socks while no one's looking."

yes!! that! exactly! thorns in the socks, what a great way of putting it!

and damn, when you put that way, the Archon really is mad as a fucking loon. ;)

@RealBooks4ever: he's mad as a hatter ;)

@Grace: oh, knowing Locke, he probably won't forget to screw them as soon as he can...

@Redhead: I'm already feeling sorry for him, sea sickness sucks big time, and even if you get used to it it's not pleasant...

Regarding the Archon, I find him strangely interesting. Barking mad? Yes! And yet, there's something compelling about his vision and his commitment to it, even though he know he won't life to see his plan come together.

Post a Comment