Monday 14 May 2012

Jules Verne - Journey to the Center of the Earth

Title: Journey to the Center of the Earth
Original title: Voyage au centre de la Terre
Author: Jules Verne
Pub. year: 1864
Pages: 320
Editor: Penguin Books

Summary: What a stunning discovery: an old, coded note that actually contains directions for reaching the Earth’s very core! And once he finds it, renowned geologist Professor Liedenbrock can’t resist setting out with his 16-year-old nephew to go where only one man has gone before. Jules Verne takes young readers on one of the most incredible journeys ever imagined, from Iceland’s frozen tundra far down into fantastic underground prehistoric worlds and back up again through the fires of an erupting volcano.

Being French, it's quite impossible have never heard of Jules Verne. But I have to admit I never tried to read one of his books until this month. I think I was a bit scared that it would be really hard to read, with all the science stuff and the 19th century style. Anyway, I decided to give it a go and see if it was readable or not.

And actually it is. It must be for this author to be as well known as he is, that long after his death. So, obviously, it is quite scientific, but not that much and it's not really important if you don't understand some minor details, you get what they're saying because it's written so that you understand the most important of it.

When it comes to the style, well, it is better than what I expected, even if I'm still not fond of the way of talking and interacting from one and a half century ago. And the way that people are written too. It's just too.. distant, not really endeavouring. Maybe it's because he is a pretty quiet man that I was more curious about Hans, the Icelander, than any of the other. But it didn't stop me from reading the book to the end and enjoying it.

I had never really imagined a world deep under my feet, so it was a nice change and a great adventure! Even if we can easily guess the main plot, we are diving into an unknown and curious place that is full of surprises and mysteries.

Quite a good impression then, even if it's not one of my favorite! I have some other Jules Verne books in my TBR pile, so maybe I'll come back to you with some of them, someday. Meanwhile, you can try this one!

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment