Sunday 13 May 2012

Red Seas Under Red Skies read along
[third part]

In case you haven't followed the first part of this read along on The Lies of Locke Lamora, let me tell you, you missed something.
But it's not too late!
Here we are again, reading and answering questions about the second part of this awesome series, Red Seas Under Red Skies.
Care to join?
All the details are on the Little Red Reviewer blog, so take a book and join the fun!










Sooo... Sunday again, hu? And I didn't even get my usual funny vulgar quote this time, shame on me. I admit I had to skip over this part really fast due to other obligations... but luckily, I remembered it quite well (and here I though my memory was a piece of Gruyere!), so let's get on with the discussion!


1. Locke and Jean's ability to find themselves at the center of a serious mess seems unparalleled. At this point, do you think that Stragos will get the return he expects on his investment in them?
Oh, I think Stragos with get some return on his investment, but probably not the one he expects! I am always amazed at the sheer bad luck the Gentlemen seem to suffer from. I mean, they come for a game, they get a free trip at sea, then lose the women, then forget the cats, then lose the captain, then end up having to be actual pirates and fighting and... ok, I stop here. But after all that, there is no way Locke will bring Stragos the war he wants without dictating his own terms.


2. Merrain's activities after our boys leave Windward Rock are interesting. What do you think her plans are?
Always said I don't like her. What is wrong with this woman? I know she's afraid Locke and Jean would become too important for Stragos (is she afraid to lose her position?) but killing her own people just "in case of" is just so, so wrong. I don't know what her plans are, but I hope they get canceled by a nice hard blow on the head.


3. Does anyone know why having cats aboard the ship is so important?
The cuteness? The fluffiness? The morning wake-up by a nice little rough tongue on the face?
I have no idea, but what Caldris said about them being proud even wet makes sens. Cats rock, nothing you can do about that!


4. The word "mutiny" creates a lot of mental pictures. Were you surprised? Why or why not?
I think I kinda expected it. As I mentioned above, they went off the wrong foot, with the missing women and cats, Locke's very poor attempts to cover his mess, then losing Caldris... the moment he died, I knew they were good to get thrown off the ship. And mutiny is indeed quite a nasty thing, so I am glad they didn't slash them or anything.
I know I shouldn't, but... getting them naked in front of Ezri and the Poison Orchid's crew was hilarious! Just for that, I'm glad of the mutiny. Plus, Jean must be some kind of eye candy to end up where he will, hu?


5. Ah, the Poison Orchid. So many surprises there, not the least of which were the captain's children. Did you find the young children a natural part of the story?
It's slightly weird, but somehow understandable. I mean, she wouldn't leave her kids on the shore, that would be way more dangerous that keeping them around... of course, you need to be confident enough to believe you'll always be the best pirate and no one will murder them, but I think that's exactly how Zamira is. Don't know if it's good for the kids, but Barsavi's probably weren't worse educated than those ones!


6. Jean is developing more and more as a character as we get further in to the book. Ezri makes the comment to him that "Out here, the past is a currency, Jerome. Sometimes it's the only one we have." I think several interesting possibilities are coming into play regarding Jean and Ezri. What about you?
I really like Jean, I think it takes some time to get used to him but afterwards, you just can't let him go. I love how he's sweet and rough at the same time, and how he gets really angry at Locke when he deserves it, and how they always manage to stick together in the end. Ezri is totally sweet on him (in a bully way) and as we see in the last part, he's not willing to let go either. I know Locke seems to think only of himself but I know he'll get around, he wouldn't let a guy like Stragos mess up with their life and get away with it.


7. As we close down this week's reading, the Thorn of Camorr is back! I love it, even with all the conflict. Several things from their Camorri background have come back up. Do you think we will see more Camorri characters?
Not sure Camorri people will come as far as here... I think that the past is important, like Ezri said, but it's also something which has gone and I picture them more going forward than getting back to old acquaintances. Except maybe some old friends from Karthain, someday...


Alright, things are rolling quite fast on the pirate side now! Check the other reviews from the Little Red Reviewer and let's see next week who's going to betray who!

7 commentaires:

Jean is definite eye candy, mind candy and just simply hot! I love that guy. I've tried to keep it to myself but blah - it's out there now!
That naked in the boat scene was absolutely sweet! I loved it - especially when they both dived in opposite directions into the water.
And, the final chapters with the Redeemers was awesome. Locke doing his crazy laughing, charging and sabre waving into as he rushed headlong into the fray. Such a bloody brilliant mental image. Strangely, and don't ask me why but it made me think of Hans Solo in Star Wars when he charges a bunch of Stormtroopers - and then a few minutes later comes charging back in the opposite direction. ROFLMAO
Lynn :D

Lynn: you like Jean! I would never have guessed! ;D

The whole naked dancing thing was so funny I was snorting coffee out of my nose. I know the Ezri was a bit rude about their 'assets', but I can't imagine that Jean would be all that unimpressive . . .

I had the Han Solo moment as well, so it isn't just you! :D

I see we agree on Stragos getting a return on his investment, just not the way he wants it. :) Oh, I really hope that comes out as true. I mean, you never know with Mr. Lynch...

@Lynn: darn, and now we have to share Jean. What a pity! I'm a bit glad that there is no visual representation of him yet, I like to picture him very awesome - even if big guys are not always my type, this one would totally do.
I should watch Star Wars again... I barely remember it. Shame on me!!

@Sue: can we get more naked dancing please? :D

@Ines: Lynch is so cruel! This guy never ceases to amaze me. What awaits us in the next books?! I fear the answer...

I think that Merrain is working for either the Bondsmagi or Selendri. She's shaping the way Stragos views Locke and Jean and ensuring they don't make themselves too useful and give Stragos too much power so he can pose too much of a threat to whoever she works for.

Also can we have less naked dancing. From the guys at least. Very undignified.

I will admit that Lynch has me curious about why the custom of bringing cats on board the ship has evolved and why it's so important to the sailors.

The line between Jean and Locke in the boat, discussing how the ship would attack the other, demanding the cats had me laughing out loud.

Gruyere is delicious. Now I want some.

The naked dancing was hilarious, and it showed that the Poison Orchid's crew has a sense of humor. I love the pirates and hope that Locke doesn't betray them.

Post a Comment