Monday 23 April 2012

Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus

Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Pub. year: 2011
Pages: 400
Editor: Doubleday

Summary: The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. The fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hangs in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.


I think so many people have talked about this book already that I won't be able to tell you anything new. If you were expecting some controversial review about how bad this book is, you can leave now, because the hype is totally justified. I didn't even expect anything from it, I know everyone said it was good, but then that wouldn't be a first for me not to like something everyone else's does. Plus, I've never been to a circus in my life, and never really expressed any interest for it, so a circus romance...

How wrong I was. This is definitely a little masterpiece, in more ways than I could explain. First, you see those chapters, one addressed to the reader, one following a character in a timeline, then another in the past or the future, knowing fully that all will collide someday. The style is marvelous, very light and deep at the same time, full of poetry, and I really couldn't tear my eyes off it.

But not only that, this beautiful writing has a wonderful story behind it, very imaginative, full of surprises, of intricates mysteries and soft charming romance mixed with cruelty and deception. The Circus itself is a pure wonder, and the characters living it (or buzzing around it) are so moving and real that it's almost painful to see them hurt. I don't know what to say to express it properly, but this book really takes you into another universe, grips you and doesn't let you go until you release this last, sad breath, knowing the Circus has to go without you now.

The book is totally going on my "to read again and again" shelf!

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment