Monday 7 November 2011

Mary Shelley - Frankenstein

Title: Frankenstein or, The Modern Prometheus
Author: Mary Shelley
Pub. year: 1918
Pages: 202
Editor: HarperCollins
Summary: ′It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open...′

Written when Mary Shelley was only nineteen-years old, this chilling tale of a young scientist′s desire to create life still resonates today. Victor Frankenstein′s monster is stitched together from the stolen limbs of the dead, and the result is a grotesque being who, rejected by his maker, sets out on a journey to reek his revenge.




Having always heard about this story, I wanted to read it and know exactly what it was. The cover was pretty cool, which helps. I'm not fond of classic books, but once in a while, it doesn't hurt.

It's nice to know the true story as it was written (even if I was a bit disappointed by the fact that there was no "IT'S ALIIIIVE" =D), like I did for Dracula or other well known stories/myths. The epistolary style brings a much more personnal dimension to the story, allowing us to understand with their own words what's going on, like being inside the mind of the characters.

I felt sad for the creature, his loneliness. I was always balanced between affection and horror about him. Both him and his creator had ambivalant personnality. I won't judge Frankenstein (the master, not the creature, just to be clear for those who confuse them) because I don't know what I would have done if I created that kind of creature... but I don't think this story would have been the same if he accepted him, and if he faced the consequences of his acts.
It feels like everything is just working to bring both of them to a really sad ending. All the decisions, everything that's happening... It's kind of oppressing in that way.

Anyway, it was nice to enter in that kind of reflexion afterwards. I can't say I loved it, but it was rewarding and I'm glad I read it.

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment