Monday 28 November 2011

R.I.Pern, Anne McCaffrey


The Dragondriders of PERN is probably the first series I read after Harry Potter and The Lord of the rings.
I fell in love with that world, its characters, the dragons... and the talent of Anne McCaffrey.

So when I read the news of her death, I felt like I didn't want to talk for a while. Just to honore the woman and her masterpiece. I know she hasn't written only The Dragonriders of PERN but that's her only series I've read.

In France/French, it's pretty hard to find every book of PERN, and it took me almost 5 years to acquire every one of them. It's funny how I always left one book of PERN unread. I couldn't find it anywhere in French (I was 15yo at that time and wasn't able to read as well in English as now) so I bought the book in English. But the level was a bit high for me and I let the book in my TBR Pile, waiting for me to be ready for it. I feel like I should read it, now.

PERN isn't well known in France. I mean, I don't know a lot of readers, including my big readers friends, that have read a book from Anne McCaffrey, PERN or other series. If at first I was a bit sad of that, I realised later that I was glad, because it was as if PERN was a little secret between the author and me.
I've enjoy every single book of this series, no matter who were the main characters or when it was in the History of the planet. She always knew how to make me fall for at least one character, dragging me inside the life of this society.

She's probably the reason why I'm enjoying stories about dragons now and why I love fantasy so much (even if PERN is more of a Sci-Fi saga). I will definitely start to read her other stories too, to seek again her writing. It's a shame I needed that kind of news to do that... but well... better now than never.

I don't really believe in an afterlife, but if there is one, may she rest there with dragons and people she loved.




4 commentaires:

We're especially sad about Anne McCaffrey's passing over here in Ireland, as she lived here and was very much involved in horse riding.

I have only read one of her Pern books, in French, donkey's years ago, but I'm going to remedy to that soon enough. I have found out two days ago that my cousin has most of the series on her bookshelves.

I'm glad you have the opportunity to discover this whole world and so many books from PERN ahead of you! I hope you'll enjoy it!

I'll let you know if I do (and probably write a review as well =)

Post a Comment