Monday 2 January 2012

Gregory Maguire - Wicked

Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, book 1)
Author: Gregory Maguire
Pub. year: 1995
Pages: 407
Editor: HarperCollins

Summary: When Dorothy triumphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum’s classic tale, we heard only her side of the story.
But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious witch?
Where did she come from?
How did she become so wicked?
And what is the true nature of evil?







I saw the Musical Wicked last summer and fell in love with it. So when I heard about the book it came from, I wanted to read it really badly. Luckily, a friend offered it to me as a gift for my birthday, and I read it as soon as I could.

Unfortunately, it was not as entertaining and moving as the Musical for me. Even if I liked to learn about Elphaba's life a little bit more, I was often bored while reading. And the characters were quite different. It was hard for me to appreciate some of them like I did in the Musical. I know I shouldn't compare while reading a book, but it was too different and really less enjoyable for me.

In this book, we follow Elphaba from birth during her journey. We discover a lot more about her life, and why she does what she does, but I had trouble liking her. I didn't find her moving, even if her personality was complex and unstable. I felt like I was watching everything from behind a veil so I didn't truely entered the story.

I was a bit pissed with the author when each time I started to find a part entertaining, he jumped a few years later, losing my attention again and again.

I didn't hate that book, but I didn't like it either. Even the political issues that were raised in the Musical are boring and not as well exploited here. At least I laughed a bit at some replicas.

As a result, I don't feel really enthousiastic about this reading, and quite disappointed...


Quote :
"'I shall pray for you soul,' promised Nessarose.
'I shall wait for your shoes,' Elphie answered.
"
p.325

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment