Monday 26 March 2012

Antoine de St Exupéry - The Little Prince

Title: The Little Prince
Original title: Le Petit Prince
Author: Antoine de St Exupéry
Pub. year: 1943
Pages: 96
Editor: Mariner Books

Summary: The Little Prince is a fantasy book about a pilot, stranded in the Sahara, who meets a small boy from another planet. The boy, who refers to himself as a prince, is on a quest for knowledge. The little prince asks questions of the pilot and tells the pilot of life on his own very small planet.



I guess if you know only one French book, it's this one. And that's probably because it's the most translated French book ever. I'd say it totally deserves it. It's one of my favorite since the first time I read it, 13 years ago (because they were many others).



As you can see, it's a very short book, with a lot of very nice pictures inside. So you can easily guess that it won't take long to read it. But it doesn't leave you unchanged. Because if it seems like a children book, a simply nice story, it's mostly a grown up book about remembering what it's like to be a child and what adulthood does to us. At least, that's part of what it is. Almost each time I read this book between my 11yo and now, I discover something else. Maybe because I was growing up, but mainly because you change all the time, you learn, you live and that gives you a different way of seeing the world.

It has this naive way of showing you stuff that you tend to forget about childhood, about relationships, about yourself. It's funny, it's poetic, sometimes a bit sad and I don't think it's possible to close this book without feeling a little bit different. But that's maybe just cheesy me loving this book.

I love how it makes you feel that imagination and make-beliefs games are the best thing ever, and I love how it is a constant reminder that even if I'm kind of an adult now, I don't want to forget what it's like to be a child.

So, all I can say if you haven't read it yet is GO READ IT NOW!

2 commentaires:

Cheesy me too, then :) My particular pleasure is to read aloud chapter 7, where the little prince gets upset about the aviator because he doesn't understand the importance of the rose. It's so full of emotion, I always end it with tears in my voice and often my eyes too :´)

I see what you mean ^^ It does that to me at the end of the book when the aviator speaks to the reader... every time I read it after reading the whole book, I can't help but cry a little.

Post a Comment