Saturday 31 March 2012

The Lies of Locke Lamora read along
[part four]

Dear fellow readers! This week is the fourth week of the Lies of Locke Lamora read along hosted by the Little Red Reviewer and her comrades, and it's the first time I am joining one! Every week we'll read around 120-140 pages of the book and every Saturday, each participant will reply to a bunch of secret questions and discuss around it.
Like the book? Good!
Want to have fun? Same here!
Groupie of Scott Lynch but afraid to tell? It's ok, we won't say anything...
Join the read along or come check the discussion every week!


Alright, since last week the proper re-read has started (it only takes a bit of Friday evening to go through each part, so why not?) and I am glad I did it, because things were a bit jammed in my head and I am glad to remember them properly now. Have you checked last week's discussion? It was good, but not as good as this one because we are now at That Point, also know as The Tragic Instance That Upset Me, for which I would have resented the author forever if he wasn't so good. And I am really glad he is.

[...] it confirms something they claim to know in their hearts — that Camorri are all gods-damned crazy.

1. In the chapter “A Curious Tale for Countess Amberglass” we learn of the tradition of the night tea in Camorr. I found that not so much fantastical as realistic – how about you?
I know it's bad but I mainly found it a bit boring. I know, it's good to have those details because they make everything seem more real and palpable, but gods damnit, Locke is dying in a barrel a piss and you want to interest me with the tea ceremony? To hell with your tea!!


2. When Jean meets with what will become the Wicked Sisters for the first time, the meeting is described very much like how people feel when they find their true work or home. Agree? Disagree? Some of both?
It's pretty fascinating how the Wicked Sisters indeed have a "character" place in the story—we learn of how they meet their master, we see him care for them and be relieved when Bug gets them back for him, so it's really more like a companion that an accessory. Well, I rarely throw my companions in the head of dummies when we meet, but one must has its hobbies I guess!


3. Salt devils. Bug. Jean. The description is intense. Do you find that description a help in visualizing the scene? Do you find yourself wishing the description was occasionally – well – a little less descriptive?
The salt devils reminded me a bit of the It movie (Stephen King) when they meet with the "spider" in the cave, and also a bit of the third Lord of the Ring movie when they also meet with the Spider. I have something against spiders, really, but there it wasn't too bad—maybe because they were called salt devils and not spiders, and also because they died without killing anyone. The splashing was yucky, though, but I didn't mind the description. I enjoyed it much more than the ones where we learn about sunsets, busy streets and seagulls life, which kind of bore me to death.


4. This section has so much action in it, it’s hard to find a place to pause. But…but.. oh, Locke. Oh, Jean. On their return to the House of Perelandro, their world is turned upside down. Did you see it coming?
First time I read it, I didn't see it coming. The second one, I dreaded it, but it was still there. I guess Lynch set the tone when he killed Nazca: no one has to be spared. And people noticed that there was less flashbacks and details about the other three gentlemen, and I am quite glad of it because it makes the departure less hard. Hard nonetheless, but well...
I'm afraid I will have trouble to digest the arrow in the neck, that was really horrible, and I still feel for the poor sweetie.


5. Tavrin Callas’s service to the House of Aza Guilla is recalled at an opportune moment, and may have something to do with saving a life or three. Do you believe Chains knew what he set in motion? Why or why not?
I think he hoped that all this crap he put them through will be useful to them someday, otherwise why would he have done it? I don't think he hoped they would need it on such a tragic occasion, but at least the training isn't lost, and even through hardship they remain smart and clear headed. I'm in awe.


6. As Locke and Jean prepare for Capa Raza, Dona Vorchenza’s remark that the Thorn of Camorr has never been violent – only greedy and resorting to trickery – comes to mind again. Will this pattern continue?
I think there's a difference between having to resort to violence and wanting to. Locke has killed before, and he will kill again, but he did it only because he had to, and never with pleasure. The grief has a strong power over the mind, but I don't think it would make him forget who he is and what his duties are. He owes a death-offering to his lads, and they will have it, but he won't kill randomly, I don't believe so.


7. Does Locke Lamora or the Thorn of Camorr enter Meraggio’s Countinghouse that day? Is there a difference?
The despair is probably the only difference. Usually, Locke does his tricks because it amuses him. Now, it's a case of sheer necessity, and he has to use his talents for a matter of life or death. I don't know if the Thorn of Camorr is that side of him who would do anything to survive, but he's more determined than ever to go through his plan, and that accounts for something.


Check out other discussions on the Little Red Reviewer blog, and let's meet again next week for the last part of the book!

7 commentaires:

Your answer to number 1 reflect my thoughts EXACTLY!

To be honest, I'm actually pretty fuzzy on all the details of that section...

Yeah - I read the tea date pretty fast too. I mean, that was a hell of a cliff-hanger. Tho I did enjoy the tea cakes - ridiculous and edible.

I must have been sleep-reading when Jean got his Wicked Sisters, because I don't remember it at all. Guess it didn't make much of an impression on me at the time!
You're right - even though I happened to have enjoyed the tea scene, I was impatient to know what was going on down there in the water! :)

"Usually, Locke does his tricks because it amuses him. Now, it's a case of sheer necessity, and he has to use his talents for a matter of life or death."

yes!! that!!

their lives were always fun and games. Stealing and tricking the nobility was fun, and if something went wrong they could always hide out in the country side for a few weeks until it calmed down.

not this time. and Locke is out for vengeance.

and poor, poor Bug. he's such a little scamp, such the perfect little brother to the Bastards, someone they can dump housework on and tease. :( that scene makes me cry, every damn time.

Lynch really knows how to write those scenes that upset you. But he'll make it up to you in a few chapters, I promise.

@Jeremy: I like the details but sometimes, they really come up at the worst times...

@nrlymrtl: the cake did look kind of fun to eat, I'd like to spit out little light while eating! But well, I care more about Locke than the cake...

@RealBooks4ever: it was in a pretty brief interlude, so easy to miss I guess, but pretty nice to read anyway.

@Redhead: I'm still sad about Bug, really, what a horrible fate... I know that the end is nice but I don't know if it really makes it up, let's say that at least it makes you forget a bit about the worst.

Ha ha, 'to hell with your tea' - very funny. Although where I come from no matter HOW bad something is - a cup of tea will always make things better (dont even bother to ask why!)
I loved the scene with Jean and the Salt Devils - it was so exciting and he was like poetry in motion (but then I have a bit of a soft spot for Jean).
Everybody is a bit gutted about Bug - it's just so sad - but he was a hero to the very end.
And, yes, I was imagining Shelob from Lord of the Rings when the Salt Devils appeared - probably more to do with the actual size of the creatures than anything else.
Lynn :D

I can't trust tea anymore, I drank a lot but everytime I read the book, Bug still dies. How does it make anything better? ;)
Brr, giant spiders... I won't miss those, at least. And I'm glad Red Seas has none either!

Post a Comment